Monday, November 1, 2010

On the road again....

10/27/10


We are finally getting back into the field to do the work that has been piling up while the roads were deteriorating and our vehicles were broken down. Today we headed to Konobo District. My job was to check and see how the clinic has been doing since our training in August (we haven't been back since then so I was a little worried). Roz's job was to hand out ration cards to all the girls who should be recieving WFP food at the schools along the way (we headed out around 10am and most schools had already closed down for the day, so it wasn't a very successful mission. It is not rare to find school starting at 8 and ending at 10, if the teachers even show up. This topic deserves its own blog.). When I got to the clinic I was pleasantly surprised at how well they were doing. They had a few problems with their ledgers, but I have definitely seen worse. They haven't yet received their October food distribution (our food trucks can't make it with the roads the way they are), but when they do, I am sure they will be able to make the necessary changes and improve. I have found that the clinics way in the bush are implementing the program much better than the district hospital right around the corner. I found the same thing in Zambia- the health committees that were farther from the clinic were more motivated than those closer to the clinic. I have my theories as to why this is, but won't bore you with them.
I, of course, had my camera with me to capture the excitement along the way. We had a HUGE several hour downpour the night before, so I knew we would run into something interesting along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment