Monday, July 26, 2010

Happy Independence Mama Liberia

Today Liberia is celebrating 163 years of Independence. President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has been travelling for the past few days up to Nimba County, where she will be officially celebrating the day. She made several stops along the way to dedicate some buildings and visit the local communities (We were a little ahead of her convey when coming to Zwedru. The streets were filled with people dancing in anticipation for her arrival. I won't lie, there were times I imagined they were dancing in anticipation of my arrival :)).
Most of the shops were closed in town today, but I managed to pick up a few things I needed from the market (bread, over ripe bananas, rice and some palm oil). I dont expect any fireworks this evening, but I certainly do miss the smell of an Independence Day BBQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment