Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rockin' Robberg

We were blessed with the most beautiful weather for our afternoon hike around Robberg Peninsula this afternoon. The nature trail starts at the top of the peninsula, goes along the sea cliffs, wraps down through the dunes and heads back up the rocky shores at the edge of the surf. There was the most wonderful breeze coming off the water, but the sun beat down as we climbed up. I actually broke a sweat for the first time since I’ve arrived in country! About midway through the hike we spotted hundreds of sea lions at the bottom of the cliffs, playing in the waves and sunning themselves on the rocks. They were having a great time, but they stunk! We stopped for lunch on the dunes that cut through the middle of the rocks and ate our avocado sandwiches and biltong while enjoying a stunning view of the ocean. After our little picnic, we carried on down the dunes, along the beach and then up to the top of an outpost to a magnificent lookout point. We got there just in time- there were about 5 pods of whales breaching, blowing air, and tail slapping. It was bloody hard to get pictures of the damn things, but I tried.. you see here what I mean.
















The walk ended scaling across the slippery cliffs and back up to the starting point. The entire day was breathtaking- what a way to spend a Tuesday afternoon! We ended the day by grilling some fresh fish and roasting some veggies, all washed down with some chilled white wine. I’m thoroughly enjoying my meals and drinks, knowing that all too soon I will be surviving on rice and water! Tomorrow we are off to Port Elizabeth for the World Cup game (England v Slovenia). Time to buy a vuvuzela!

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm doing something wrong. It's not putting my picture next to my comment and it seems my last comment didn't post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics and stories of your adventures! Keep em coming! BTW is that the fish you ate? Looks like he is begging not to be eaten :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics! A bit jealous of this part of your journey...now once you get to Liberia I'll be glad I'm here in the states :)

    ReplyDelete